Monday, August 23, 2010

The Forbidden Game

The Forbidden Game
by L.J. Smith

9 out of 10
YA urban fantasy

This isn't a vampire book, in spite of being written by L.J. Smith (author of the Vampire Diaries, which I also enjoyed).

I read this while at Girl's Camp.  It is already a creepy story, but being alone in a tent reading by flashlight made this so much creepier.  And yet, I couldn't put it down.  That may be because I was pretty sure I wouldn't be able to sleep if I didn't finish it.  There was a satisfying amount of romance without being overtly sexual, which is something I really like about L.J. Smith.

The premise is that Jenny, who is somewhat shallow at the beginning, wants to buy a game that her friends will think is cool.  With some reservations, she chooses The Game, which turns out to be a portal to the Dark World.  Her nemesis, Julian, has been watching her for some time and wants her soul.  In order to defeat him, she must win three games against him with the help of her friends.  Each book in the omnibus edition details one game.

No comments:

Post a Comment