Friday, August 27, 2010

The Overton Window

The Overton Window
by Glenn Beck

4 out of 10

I have to say, I really wanted to like this book.  At best, I can only give it a 'blah' review.  There were lots of interesting points in this book, but it was interesting in the same way that Beck's show is interesting.

As a political thriller, it was distinctly lacking in the 'thrill' department.  The pacing and tension is very methodical throughout and doesn't have a lot of ups and downs.  At any point during this book I could have put it down without having to pick it back up immediately.  That's not a good thing in a thriller.

I had a hard time identifying with the main character, Noah Gardner.  Noah is the son of a progressive big-wig, and he doesn't have a lot of redeeming qualities.  He's not bad, but he's not really good, either.  It's probably pretty realistic, but it's not very interesting to read.  Molly was much more likeable to me, but by the end, I liked her less, not more.  As for the side plot with Danny, it ended up being majorly involved in the climax of the story, and I liked neither.

Without any spoilers, the climax was a little ridiculous.  And it went downhill from there.  Reading my review, it seems like I thought this book was really bad, but it was mostly just 'blah.'

The list of resources in the back in which Glenn shows where he got most of his ideas  was probably the best part.

No comments:

Post a Comment