Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Funny in Farsi


Funny in Farsi

9 out of 10
I am not a memoir reader. As a matter of fact, I try to avoid non-fiction if I can get away with it. That being said, I thoroughly enjoyed this book and found myself reading funny snippets aloud to my husband.

My one issue as a reviewer is that there was really no coherence. The book really could have ended at the end of any chapter or continued with other stories without it mattering. I enjoyed them all, but once I finished a chapter, there was no pull to start the next one. I also felt like the book just sort of...ended. In fact, I thought the Afterword was just as engaging as any of the chapters, and it ended the book better than the last chapter.

The best part was that the author doesn't focus on politics; she instead writes a book that anyone who has ever felt like an outsider can identify with. Iran isn't that place in the middle east where there's war and terrorism; it's a beloved homeland with families just like our own--full of quirks and love.

No comments:

Post a Comment