Thursday, December 10, 2009

The Hunter's Moon

The Chronicles of Faerie: The Hunter's Moon
by O.R. Melling

7 out of 10
YA fantasy. I had higher hopes for this one. It seemed and interesting premise: Two modern girls who love fantasy and Faerie literature decide to go on an adventure and end up getting swept into the world of Faerie.

I felt like in order to really appreciate the book, you had to be as familiar with Irish Faerie lore as the girls supposedly were, and in spite of loving fantasy literature, I'm not. I don't know the in-depth history of any one fantasy genre, and I felt a little lost. I didn't know why certain things were supposed to be important, and a lot of the world-building magic was missing, ostensibly because the author assumed you were familiar with the world already. That was a major weakness in this novel.

That being said, it was interesting in its own right. The plot was pretty well developed, and there were certain budding romances that I feel an integral part of this genre. Also, the ending was well done.

Not a home run, but worth a read if you like the genre.

No comments:

Post a Comment